Common QuestionsInformation for Patients and Carers
Patients Know Best is a secure online record of your health and care information that you can access anytime, anywhere. You can also choose to share it with your health and care professionals, your relatives or your carers.
With Patients Know Best you have 24/7 secure, online access to your medical records using any computer, smartphone or tablet. You don’t need to upgrade your computer or install new software and you control who gets to access your records. You can invite your doctors, nurses, carers and relatives, both inside and outside the NHS.
What can it do?
Your personal record allows you to:
- View test and lab results
- Send and receive secure, online messages
- Add or view upcoming appointments
- Access proxy accounts for children and people you care for
- View and edit information in personal care or treatment plans
- Connect wearable devices such as blood pressure monitors, glucose monitors and Fitbit trackers so that you can upload your measurements and track them over time
- Upload and access useful online advice and resources including leaflets, audio files and videos.
Please note, the accessibility options outlined above are subject to authorisation from your local healthcare provider.
Currently, health and care professionals have access to information held about you by their own organisation only. With Patients Know Best, you can view all the information held by you from every organisation that looks after you, all in one place.
Did you know?
Health and care organisations that look after you already hold your medical information on paper or other computer systems. Putting the information in Patients Know Best gives everyone involved in your care the opportunity to see and add to it in one single place. This can help ensure you get the best care and avoid unnecessary tests and treatment.
Patients Know Best is compliant with the NHS network, so it’s just as secure as the information your healthcare providers already hold on you. However, it's unique because it also gives you, the patient, access to your information via any web-enabled device. Patient information is encrypted (or coded) and only people who have permission to view your information can do so.
We encrypt data in both transit (i.e. when the information comes in and out) and storage.
Patients Know Best is free at the point of care which means that you don’t need to pay to use it because it is provided for you by the NHS and other health and care service providers.
Yes. Learning how to use a new online platform may seem overwhelming at first, but don’t worry - Patients Know Best is designed to be simple, straightforward and secure.
Take a look at this short video to find out more about how you can use it once you've registered.
Getting started is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Click on the registration link here, or in the invitation you have received from your healthcare team.
- Complete all sections of the registration page and create your Patients Know Best login using your email address, secure password and a security question (in case you forget your password).
- Login to your Patients Know Best record and start using it immediately. If you don't see much information from your healthcare provider at first, don't worry. You data will begin to be fed in overtime and you will receive notifications when this arrives.
We’re already used in lots of places around the country and may also be set up in your local hospital or GP practice too. If not, please tell us, or them.
If the team involved in your care are using PKB, they may invite you to join. You can only use Patients Know Best if you’re invited by your NHS provider organisation. To find out if your healthcare team is using Patients Know Best, search with your postcode here. For any further support, email firstname.lastname@example.org.